THIS TRAVEL & TOURISM WEEK
For the week ending 13 June 2018
Dear Members and Colleagues
Welcome to our latest edition of our Weekly newsletter. This week saw the release of some grim economic data from Statistics South Africa. The latest GDP figures reflect a 2.2% contraction in the first quarter of 2018. Not to mention the recent 82c per liter petrol price hike. o
In other topical news, include the process he closing date for public comments on the renaming of four airports run by ACSA – Cape Town International Airport, East London Airport, Port Elizabeth International Airport and Kimberly Airport. This is done under the Transformation of Heritage Landscape Government Programme.
The week under review also saw the observance of World Environment Day which includes Oceans Day. We share information on what some of our members are doing in this regard, specifically highlighting the #WasteStopsWITHME initiative by Tsogo Sun, as well as upcoming workshops on plastic waste by Fair Trade Tourism. Still on members’ news, shifting the focus on the youth, we also remind you of an initiative led by FEDHASA, that will see more young people being trained in the hospitality field.
On the regional front, this week saw the hosting of the 61st Meeting of the UNWTO Commission for Africa in Abuja, Nigeria, 4-6 June, under the theme Tourism Statistics: A Catalyst for Development”. The meeting included a ministerial dialogue on the importance of tourism statistics under the topic “Better measure, better manage”.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE WEEK IN REVIEW: 04 – 08 JUNE 2018
- MEMBER UPDATES
- NOTICE: TBCSA ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING, 21 JUNE 2018
- EXCLUSIVE UPDATE: SA TOURISM FEEDBACK ON #WATERWISE CAMPAIGN
- FINAL TOMSA FEEDBACK SESSION, 25 JUNE, GALLAGHER CONVENTION CENTRE
- OUR MEMBERS’ NEWS
- PHASA VACANCY: BOOKKEEPER/FINANCIAL ASSISTANT
- FTT TO HOLD WORKSHOPS ON PLASTIC REDUCTION & CAPTIVE WILDLIFE
- ‘CAPE TOWN TRAINING PROGRAMME SEES MORE YOUTH TRAINED IN HOSPITALITY’
- FEDHASA TO HOST GOLF FESTIVAL IN THE MOTHER CITY
- REGIONAL AFRICA NEWS
- NTAC 60s ROUNDUP
Please see below for some of the key highlights among NTAC Members, as received from the World Travel and Tourism Council:
- ABTA: ABTA research highlights vital role of Travel Management Companies in providing support and advice
- CHTA: Caribbean hoteliers advised to become GDPR compliant
- CTO: Caribbean Week New York Travel Agent Trade Show & Educational Forum Highlights Wellness Tourism
- TIA: Tourism industry keen to discuss visitor tax
- TIAC:Tourism Week 2018 – The future of tourism-Canada’s economic pillar
- USTA: 50th Annual IPW Welcomes the World to America
- WTTC: WTTC and IATA Agree to Partner for Seamless Passenger and Better Traveller Experience
- MEETINGS AND EVENTS CALENDAR
As always, we welcome and embrace your feedback on the contents of this newsletter, and any desired improvements. We wish you a productive and profitable week.
MS MMATŠATŠI RAMAWELA
CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER