The 20th Annual General Meeting for the Tourism Business Council of South Africa (TBCSA) took place on Monday, 1st of August at the City Lodge O.R Tambo International Airport.
TBCSA Annual General Meeting Session
The AGM resolved that the minutes of the 24th of July 2015 AGM had been accepted as a true reflection of that meeting.
TBCSA Board Chairman’s Report
In the absence of the TBCSA Chairman Mr Mavuso Msimang, Deputy Chairman Mr Clifford Ross read the Chairman’s 2015 report to the meeting.
The Chairman’s report highlighted the significant contribution of trade sector associations in advancing the interest of their members and the broader business community. Other highlights for 2015 from the report include:
- The formation of an Inter-Ministerial Committee on Immigrations, chaired by the Deputy President, that announced a number of positive concessions to the immigration and visa regulations;
- That the tourism sector has become the first to have its own B-BBEE Sector Codes gazetted;
Internally, the Chairman highlighted the TBCSA’s involvement and constructive stakeholder engagement on the following industry issues:
- Review of the National Tourism Sector Strategy (NTSS), as well as that of SA Tourism; is testament to the improving working relations between government and private sector;
- Significant progress in engaging the Department of Home Affairs, regarding the impact of the new immigration regulations on the sector;
- The positive platform to showcase the importance of travel and tourism to GDP, created by Business Unity South Africa (BUSA)
Lastly, on a slightly sombre note, this AGM marks the end of tenure for Mr Msimang as Board Chairman. He would like to express sincere gratitude to the Boards of TBCSA and TOMSA for their support and cooperation throughout 2015. Mr Msimang is also grateful to the lean and mean TBCSA team, led by the capable CEO, Mme Mmatšatši Ramawela. Last but certainly not least, Mr Msimang extends sincere appreciation to members of TBCSA and levy contributors for their faith in the Secretariat and their continued affiliation.
TBCSA Chief Executive Officer’s Report
TBCSA CEO Ms Mmatšatši Ramawela thanked all industry stakeholders, namely Government and South African Tourism (SAT); members, levy contributors and other industry stakeholders affiliated to the organisation for their hard work during 2015.
Other key highlights from the CEO’s Report included:
- Continued engagement with the National Department of Tourism and SA Tourism;
- The improving relationship between other government departments and TBCSA;
- The appointment of a new SA Tourism Board;
- Implementation of a new TOMSA-SAT MOU;
- The TBCSA hosting of the Secretary-General of the UNWTO, Dr Taleb Rifai and his private sector counterpart from the WTTC, Mr David Scowsill at UJs School of Tourism and Hospitality;
- The TBCSA hosting of the Parliament Portfolio Committee on Tourism;
- And certainly not least, the opening of the relocated TBCSA offices in Centurion.
The CEO concluded by thanking her colleagues at the TBCSA, the boards of both TOMSA and TBCSA for their hard work during a tough 2015. The CEO then also gave a special thanks and appreciation to the outgoing Chairman, Mr Mavuso Msimang, for consummate leadership and inspirational guidance.
2015 AGM and the Annual Financial Statements
The audited financial statements for the 2015 financial year were accepted and adopted by members of the AGM. It was also agreed that BDT Chartered Accountants Incorporated be appointed as auditors for the forthcoming year. Finally, members agreed that TBCSA membership fees would increase as of 01 January 2017, based on the CPIX (Consumer Price Index) for 2016.
Ratification of new TBCSA Board Chairman and official farewell of outgoing Chairman
The AGM officially ratified Mr Tito Mboweni as the new TBCSA Chairman. Mr Mboweni officially accepted the role of TBCSA Chairman and extended sincere thanks to the TBCSA Board for unanimously electing him as Chair. Mr Mboweni also officially acknowledged and showed sincere appreciation to the outgoing Chairman, Mr Mavuso Msimang. The AGM also ratified Mr Ravi Nadasen (Tsogo Sun) as the new TBCSA deputy Chairman.
With no further business, the AGM concluded at 12:15 p.m.