POLICE MINISTER ANNOUNCES RESPONSE STEPS TO BEEF UP AIRPORT SECURITY AT ORTIA
Members may have heard the welcome announcement late last week by the National Minister of Police, Mr Fikile Mbalula, on measures to be taken by SAPS, ACSA and other stakeholders to deal with incidents of crime and overall security at OR Tambo International Airport (ORTIA).
Minister Mbalula announced an “integrated multi-disciplinary tactical response plan” which includes:
- The appointment of a senior police official to head up ORTIA SAPS office;
- The centralization of the airport security control room;
- The introduction of a vetting system for approximately 35 000 personnel working at the airport
- The rotation of staff and allocation of additional police resources
- The allocation of additional EMPD police officers to patrol roads leading up to ORTIA
- The possibility on introducing an airport court to deal with aviation-related security offences
- Placing of additional CCTV cameras at strategic points at ORTIA
We welcome the interventions to curb incidents of crime at ORTIA announced by Minister Mbalula. The airport plays a significant role in our sector and broader national economy, and it is essential that it is regarded as a safe and secure point of entry and departure for millions of travellers.