PRESENTATION: NATIONAL TOURISM STAKEHOLDERS FORUM (NTSF) MEETING FEEDBACK
The 2017 edition of the NTSF meeting took place in the week. The forum is a meeting of key stakeholders in the local travel and tourism industry. It’s a platform for these stakeholders to take stock of developments within the sector, to receive updates on the implementation of the National Tourism Sector Strategy from the National Department of Tourism (representing all three spheres of government) and the private sector (represented by the TBCSA) and to deliberate about future plans/strategies to support and sustain the sector.
As usual, the TBCSA was invited to present private sector’s overview of the state of the travel and tourism sector, its big issues and provide insight into TBCSAs 2017 plan of action. Other than the CEO attending, the TBCSA was represented by members from ASATA; FEDHASA; SAVRALA and BARSA. Click here to view the presentation.
In the review of the implementation of the NTSS, the meeting received presentations on the following items:
- Tourism Month. This was supposed to be a presentation on the reshaping and repositioning of the programme. It was unfortunate that the report presented at the meeting failed to provide signs on the repositioning of the programme. The DG apologized for this and promised to have a team to work on the repositioning of the programme and to consult with industry partners in the early part of their new financial year.
- Domestic Tourism Strategy. The meeting received a presentation outlining the NDT and SA Tourism’s review of the implementation of the existing strategy and their plans going forward. Please see the Domestic Tourism strategy review presentation here
- National Tourism Satellite Account. The colleagues from the StatsSA delivered a presentation on the latest reports on the Tourism Satellite Account (TSA), which revealed some interesting information about our sector and its performance. Please see the TSA presentation here.
- NDT and SA Tourism Priorities for 2017/18 Financial Year. The meeting received presentations from the NDT and SAT on their plans and priorities for the financial year commencing on 1st April 2017. We will share the two presentations with members as soon as they become available.
- Review of the NTSS. The NDT presented the draft review of the NTSS and the proposal on the strategy going forward, which is due for consideration in Cabinet. The review of the NTSS was the work of the Ministerial NTSS Review Panel, which included some members of the TBCSA and TOMSA board members. Please see the NTSS review presentation here.