StatsSA Tourist Accommodation Report, November 2016
Measured in nominal terms (current prices), total income for the tourist accommodation industry increased by 6,4% in November 2016 compared with November 2015. Income from accommodation increased by 10,3% year-on-year in November 2016, the result of a 2,2% increase in the number of stay unit nights sold and a 7,9% increase in the average income per stay unit night sold.
In November 2016, the types of accommodation that recorded the highest year-on-year growth in income from accommodation were:
- caravan parks and camping sites (28,0%); and
- ‘other’ accommodation (11,6%).
The main contributors to the 10,3% year-on-year increase in income from accommodation in November 2016 were:
- hotels (contributing 6,4 percentage points); and
- ‘other’ accommodation (contributing 3,0 percentage points).
Income from accommodation increased by 10,4% in the three months ended November 2016 compared with the three months ended November 2015. The main contributors to this increase were:
- hotels (9,6% and contributing 6,3 percentage points); and
- ‘other’ accommodation (11,5% and contributing 3,1 percentage points) .
Seasonally adjusted income from accommodation decreased by 0,5% month-on-month in November 2016. Negative month-on-month growth rates were recorded for:
- caravan parks and camping sites (-12,4%); and
- hotels (-1,2%)