Tourism hosts symposium on Tourism Policy Framework
The Department of Tourism together with the industry and its constituent sub-sectors, provincial departments and tourism agencies will hold the first review of the Tourism Policy Framework since the 1996 White Paper on the Development and Promotion of Tourism in South Africa.
The symposium will enable the sector to deliberate on areas requiring policy consideration and proposals for key policy positions for future growth and development of the sector. Among the areas to be considered are the rapid growth of Homestays and the shared economy which includes Uber and Airbnb.
The review will also be guided by the National Development Plan (NDP) to ensure that the updated tourism policy framework support the NDP goals.
Objectives identified for the symposium include the following:
- to critically reflect on tourism policy and the broader Tourism Legislation context;
- to obtain stakeholder inputs on proposed policy and legislative revisions in pursuit of the growth of the sector;
- to ensure alignment of provincial policies and plans with national tourism plans and strategies; and
- to ensure a broader sector’s participation in laying the foundations of a revised Tourism Policy Framework.
Members of the media are cordially invited to attend as follows:
Date: Tuesday, 6 September 2016
Venue: Protea Hotel OR Tambo, Kempton Park
- 08h00 – 09h00 Delegates Registration
- 09h00 – 09h15 Opening and Welcome Remarks – Programme Facilitator: Ms Shamilla Chettiar – Deputy Director-General: Policy & Knowledge Services
- 09h20 – 09h50 Objectives of the Symposium : Setting the Scene – Mr Victor Tharage – Director-General
- 09h55 – 10h25 Industry Perspective on Tourism Policy Developments – Mmatšatši Ramawela – Chief Executive Officer (TBCSA)
- 10h30 – 11h00 Key Global Tourism Trends and Developments- Providing New Opportunities for Destination South Africa – Emeritus Professor: Ernie Heath – University of Pretoria
- 15h05 – 16h00 Way forward – Shamilla Chettiar – Programme Facilitator
- 16h00 Closing Remarks and Vote of Thanks – Mr Victor Tharage – Director General
For more information contact:
Mr. Trevor Bloem
Chief Director: Communications
Tel: 012 444 6607
Ms. Sibongumusa Ngidi
Chief Director: Policy Development & Evaluation
Tel: 012 444 6326