StatsSA Tourist Accommodation report for May 2016
Measured in nominal terms (current prices), total income for the tourist accommodation industry increased by 8,7% in May 2016 compared with May 2015.
Income from accommodation increased by 9,1% year-on-year in May 2016, the result of a 1,4% increase in the number of stay unit nights sold and a 7,5% increase in the average income per stay unit night sold.
In May 2016, the types of accommodation that recorded positive year-on-year growth in income from accommodation were:
- caravan parks and camping sites (37,3%);
- hotels (11,2%); and
- ‘other’ accommodation (6,2%).
The main contributors to the 9,1% year-on-year increase in income from accommodation in May 2016 were:
- hotels (contributing 7,3 percentage points); and
- ‘other’ accommodation (contributing 1,7 percentage points).
Income from accommodation increased by 11,3% in the three months ended May 2016 compared with the three months ended May 2015. The main contributors to this increase were:
- hotels (12,5% and contributing 8,0 percentage points); and
- ‘other’ accommodation (9,3% and contributing 2,6 percentage points).
- Click here to download the entire publication